Monday, May 11, 2009

Our Backyard: Before and After

Joe and I are so blessed to be able to rent our little house. We love the fact that we have a yard to work in together and room to let Joy safely play. Really, some of our very best times as a family and married couple are spent hanging out and working in our yard!
Since we moved in, about two years ago, we have been working on creating a relaxing and enjoyable atmosphere for our family and all that come to visit. Well, after a lot of sweat, back labor, creativity, and God's provision we finally feel like we have created that very atmosphere. The amazing thing is that we really didn't spend very much money in doing this. In fact, the only thing that we purchased was 2 yards of bark dust (my mother's day gift) and about $40 in plants that I bought with my birthday money. All the other materials (rock, plants, gravel, wood for the garden bed, compost, etc) we either found free off of Craig's list or re-located from another area of the property. Of course my mother, Mrs. Green Thumb herself, brought me a number of plants and little yard accessories that she and her neighbor friends no longer needed or wanted (Thanks Linda and Candy!).
Also, a huge thank you to my hard working husband! Thanks for taking the time to work with or without me, in the sun, and in the rain to make our yard beautiful! Thanks for spending months creating a master plan with me, hauling all that gravel, compost, yard debris, laying the stone path, building our garden box, and hanging Joy's swing. You are such a handy and creative man and I absolutely love being on your team :) Who else would dig holes for me in the hard ground so that I can plant my flowers? You amaze me with all of your skills Joe! I love you!
I hope you all like the finished product and can come and enjoy it with us this summer! Hopefully our garden will be growing by then :)


7 comments:

Acker Family said...

WOW!! It looks so good! I will come over anytime for that burn pit too :) Any chance you want to come over here and do work in our backyard?!

Family of 5 said...

Your yard is awesome! And how fun a fire pit! I really would like one of those! Way to be bargain shoppers too! Craigslist and free are the best! :) Good timing to finish it so now you can enjoy it all summer long!

Cathy said...

Wow. just wow. That looks amazing!!

And you're too sweet about me deserving that prize at church:) EVERY mom there deserved it! But I feel very blessed to have received it.

And you, my dear, sounded beautiful on The Revelation Song...my favorite, you know.:) Loved, loved, loved it.

simplykersh said...

That looks great, I am inspired to do our yard a little more now - we still have a mess!

Ashley said...

I know everyone else said it too, but WOW that looks amazing. My Joe and I want to redo our backyard too. Hopefully it turns out as good as yours.

Beckys blog said...

Wow! That looks amazing! What a difference!

abertolini said...

Okay, you need to win some kind of contest on HGTV or something! What a great job you guys did! Do you want to come over and advise us on ours! We've just been moving plants around for 2 1/2 years!

Blog Archive